Each workshop is designed to allow participants at any level to experience a writing class in a welcoming, encouraging, and productive atmosphere.
- Inspirational Moments: Each month a new inspirational moment will be featured. There is a 15-minute timed sprint included.
- Can We Talk? – Dialogue Workshop Playlist: Great dialogue moves the story to the next level, breaks up exposition, and reveals character traits; bad dialogue can turn a reader off or even stall out the story. Are you finding it difficult to write dialogue or not sure what your characters want to say? This workshop will get into the heart of the conversation.
- Writing Techniques – Each episode concentrates on a specific topic. The technique is explained, and an example is given. A practice exercise designed to help hone the new information, including a built-in 10-minute sprint within the lesson. The episode ends with a challenge for the writer. This is perfect for writers needing a refresher course or for the novice writer. The videos are under 20 minutes in total run-time.
- Write Start – Writing sprints with a break in-between. The two 10-minute timed sprints allow writers to break past their procrastination. The break allows for regrouping or even a chance to interact with other writers. Each month has a different inspiration.
- Vision Board Class: Start off 2022 with a Vision of your year. This two-hour workshop will walk you through the steps to create a Vision Board that will help you define what you want to accomplish for the year. Goal Writing is a habit that can produce results that get you to your ultimate dreams, whether writing, a new job, or a healthy you. Invest in yourself, so you can grow into the best version of yourself.
- Southern Gothic Ghosts – Savannah, Georgia, Marshall House: Participants can drift down the Savannah River, docking at the coastal city of Savannah, Georgia. Writers will reside within the historic district, allowing full immersion to the sights, sounds, and flavors of Savannah. Writing Adventurers will experience the picturesque district and its history. The manicured parks, horse-drawn carriages, and antebellum architecture, along with a cast of famous characters, will be weaved into the writing sessions. In addition, writers will get a private tour of Flannery O’Connor’s childhood home with a writing session held there. On the last day, we will hold a book club discussion, featuring The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers. This weekend workshop is designed for all levels of writers and book lovers. You will expand aspects of your craft with experiences and writing exercises. Participants will play games, experiment with style, and learn the purpose and place of Southern Gothic literature. Go beyond the cobblestoned squares and parks full of Spanish Moss trees, you will enrich your writing and infuse your words with a haunting Southern atmosphere.
- Artist Way Weekend Retreat – Rest, Reveal, Renew & wRite: Artist Way by Julia Cameron is a methodology designed to access your creative muse. If you have always wanted to try the Artist Way, struggled to finish the book, or need a refresher course, this retreat is for you. Discover your inner writer–Rest and uncover what is blocking you, Renew your creative spirit, Reveal your imagination, and wRite the words that express your dreams. Each session will highlight the Recovering the Sense chapters in the book. Unlock your potential and rise to the occasion, while safely nestled in Rockvale Writers’ Colony, surrounded by the beauty of creation.
- Writing Flow – Mind, Body, & Creative Spirit: This workshop will allow you to access your writing uniquely through yoga, meditation, & classical stretch. It will incorporate the principles from the Artist Way by Julia Cameron. It will be considered a boot camp for those that haven’t done this excellent book and a final wrap-up session for those that have. Yoga, meditation, and stretches will be rewarding for beginners and intermediate practitioners.
- Goal Writing – Affecting Positive Habits Workshop: Start off 2020 with an End in Mind. Defining your goals can be confusing, either you make them so broad that it feels unattainable, or they are too easy that it doesn’t nudge you out of your comfort zone. Goal Writing is a habit that can produce results that get you to your ultimate dreams, whether writing, a new job, or a healthy you. This workshop will help you refine old techniques and give you tools to help prevent you from sliding back into stagnant habits. Invest in yourself, so you can grow into the best version of you.