Each workshop is designed to allow participants at any level to experience a writing class in a welcoming, encouraging, and productive atmosphere.
- Grammar Bites: Get the low-down on grammar, a play-through sheet of the best tips and tricks, including writer know-how. Each video is under ten minutes.
- Inspirational Moments: Each month, a new inspirational moment features a different author and their writing advice. There is a 15-minute timed sprint included.
- Can We Talk? – Dialogue Workshop Playlist: Great dialogue moves the story to the next level, breaks up exposition, and reveals character traits; bad dialogue can turn a reader off or stall the story. Are you finding it difficult to write dialogue or unsure of what your characters want to say? This workshop will get into the heart of the conversation.
- Writing Techniques – Each episode concentrates on a specific topic. The technique is explained, and an example is given. A practice exercise designed to help hone the new information, including a built-in 10-minute sprint within the lesson. The episode ends with a challenge for the writer. This is perfect for writers needing a refresher course or for novice writers. The videos are under 20 minutes in total run time.
- Write Start – Writing sprints with a break in between. The two 10-minute timed sprints allow writers to break past their procrastination. The break allows for regrouping or even a chance to interact with other writers. Each month has a different inspiration.
- Artist Way in the Mountains Reunion – Group reunion for Writing Adventurers who attended Artist Way in the Mountains. We will have a chance to see what has transpired with you since our adventure in Asheville, North Carolina. We will also discuss an Artist’s Way task by Julia Cameron.
- Developing Positive Habits Workshop – This workshop will help you identify what is holding you back. We will create one goal that you will break down into doable steps. Invest in yourself to grow into the best version of yourself. We will have two follow-up meetings with the workshop to help you stay on track with your goals. The workshop includes two follow-up accountability meetings.
- Southern Gothic Ghost Reunion – Group reunion for Writing Adventurers who attended Southern Gothic Ghosts. We will have a chance to see what has transpired with you since our adventure in Savannah, Georgia. We will also discuss the Short Story – Medusa by Tania James.
- Artist Way in the Mountains – Asheville, North Carolina, Echo Mountain Inn: Exhale your stress and inhale the North Carolina mountain air. Discover and listen to your creative muse–unlock what is blocking you with The Artist Way. Each session covers the Recovering the Sense chapters by incorporating writing exercises and teamwork. You will Reset as you locate a spot of contemplation around the host venue, which offers charm, contemplation, and community connection. Writers will Renew and Reveal their artistic desires with an educational tour and a two-hour workshop at the Carl Sandburg home. If you have always wanted to try The Artist Way, struggled to finish the book, or need a refresher course, this retreat is for you.
- Vision Board Class: Start 2022 with a Vision of your year. This two-hour workshop will walk you through the steps to create a Vision Board to help you define your goals for the year. Goal Writing is a habit that can produce results that get you to your ultimate dreams, whether writing, a new job, or a healthy you. Invest in yourself to grow into the best version of yourself.
- Southern Gothic Ghosts – Savannah, Georgia, Marshall House: Participants can drift down the Savannah River, docking at the coastal city of Savannah, Georgia. Writers will reside within the historic district, allowing full immersion into Savannah’s sights, sounds, and flavors. Writing Adventurers will experience the picturesque district and its history. The manicured parks, horse-drawn carriages, antebellum architecture, and a cast of famous characters will be weaved into the writing sessions. In addition, writers will get a private tour of Flannery O’Connor’s childhood home with a writing session held there. On the last day, we will have a book club discussion featuring The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers. This weekend workshop is designed for all levels of writers and book lovers. You will expand aspects of your craft with experiences and writing exercises. Participants will play games, experiment with style, and learn the purpose and place of Southern Gothic literature. Beyond the cobblestoned squares and parks full of Spanish Moss trees, you will enrich your writing and infuse your words with a haunting Southern atmosphere.
- Artist Way Weekend Retreat – Rest, Reveal, Renew & wRite: Artist Way by Julia Cameron is a methodology designed to access your creative muse. If you have always wanted to try the Artist Way, struggled to finish the book, or need a refresher course, this retreat is for you. Discover your inner writer–Rest and uncover what is blocking you, Renew your creative spirit, Reveal your imagination, and wRite the words that express your dreams. Each session will highlight the Recovering the Sense chapters in the book. Unlock your potential and rise to the occasion while safely nestled in Rockvale Writers’ Colony, surrounded by the beauty of creation.
- Writing Flow – Mind, Body, & Creative Spirit: This workshop will allow you to access your writing uniquely through yoga, meditation, & classical stretch. It will incorporate the principles from The Artist Way by Julia Cameron. It will be considered a boot camp for those who haven’t done this excellent book and a final wrap-up session for those who have. Yoga, meditation, and stretches will reward beginners and intermediate practitioners.
- Goal Writing – Affecting Positive Habits Workshop: Start 2020 with an End in Mind. Defining your goals can be confusing; either you make them so broad that they feel unattainable, or they are too easy that it doesn’t nudge you out of your comfort zone. Goal Writing is a habit that can produce results that get you to your ultimate dreams, whether writing, a new job, or a healthy you. This workshop will help you refine old techniques and give you tools to help prevent you from sliding back into stagnant habits. Invest in yourself to grow into the best version of yourself.